Monday, May 11, 2009

There is no "I" in team... but theres two is in relationship...

After a brief conversation with my good friend John in a chic Italian cafe in Dublin's new up and coming area, the dock lands, we came to the conclusion that the "modern person" is too selfish for a relationship.
In our early 20's John and I are the "MTV" generation and have lived selfishly, as all young people do and are expected to do. However, has being born into this generation ruined our chances at love? Will our natural "we are the 'it' generation" attitude destroy every relationship we encounter? I had to find out for myself.
I did my research in both the gay and straight community and, this maybe shocking to some but I found no difference other than gay men prefer the 69 position. I really don't conform. I found that the most common reason for a couple (gay and straight) between the age of 20-25 to break up was, "I couldn't handle their shit anymore, I love him/her, but he/she is not right for me." I was in shock. I needed to dig deeper through the generations. Did the Celtic Tiger kill love? I decided I would jump up to my parents generation (40-50). And found out that they worked on the "shit" that we discard in the ex-files.
I looked at my own break-ups, and unfortunately I fall under the same pattern. I have broken up with men over my career and even for the fact I just wanted to be single. Some say that this OK, because I'm young, but I see it in my friends, a complete pattern, even my "older" friends have the same attitude to relationships.
It was then that I decided to look into the real "it generation" the people aged 30-39. Marco, a successful Banker in his early 30's, has been in generations and has broken up with men for the same reasons I have on many occasions and lives the life of a single man on the town. When I asked if he would ever consider a relationship he just answered "If the guy is right for me.". This stuck me as odd because Marco hasn't dated a guy longer than one month before listing off the things he finds wrong with the person. How do we know if they're right for us if we don't give them a chance?
It is obvious to me that we have confused self efficient with self destructive. We have had the world practically handed to us during the recession break and have forgotten how to work for thing. I am going to stick to my guns and work on whats wrong with my relationship to make more and more beautifully imperfect everyday, becauseI know that it takes two to make a relationship. Relationships are never perfect but if we all just keep striving for perfection we'll get it. And live perfectly ever after... alone.

Gracias por la lectura.

3 comments:

  1. Thats a really good article! You really should become a Columnist! I love your rhetorical questions.. theyre SOOOOOO Carrie Bradshaw! XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it, it is very well written, and interesting...
    I like how you relate to other people as well as yourself...
    And you did your research...very good...
    I agree with Stephen, you really should become a columnist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel...write more!
    I can't comment if you don't post more...

    ReplyDelete